Beecher Hills Elementary School officially announced its new status as an International Baccalaureate (IB) school last Tuesday, August 16, 2011 at 2257 Bollingbrook Dr., SW, Atlanta 30311.
Implementation of the primary years program framework will help Beecher Hills Elementary School achieve its mission of developing compassionate, balanced, lifelong learners who are both locally and globally-involved citizens.
The school’s IB designation was earned through an intensive review and evaluation of Beecher Hill’s curriculum and staff by the Geneva, Switzerland-based organization that authorizes IB programs in schools throughout the world. Founded in 1968, the IB organization currently works with over 3,200 schools in 141 countries to develop and offer three challenging programs to over 950,000 students aged 3 to 19 years. Students, parents, staff and community members were present for Tuesday’s meeting, when the formal announcement was made.
APS is one of the first and few public school systems in the nation to offer the kindergarten through 12th grade IB program.
- Beecher Hills ES — since August 2011
- Garden Hills ES – since 2006
- Sarah Smith ES – since 2006
- Brandon ES – since 2007
- Warren T. Jackson ES – since 2007
- E. Rivers ES – since 2007
- Bolton Academy – since 2010
- Deerwood Academy – since 2010
- Sutton MS – since 2008
- As an IB World School since 1982, North Atlanta has the oldest IB program in the Southeast and has long served 16- to 19-year-olds through its IB Diploma Programme.
- The program expanded in 2008, when North Atlanta HS and Sutton MS began jointly operating the IB Middle Years Programme, which serves students up to age 16.
- This past June, Maynard Holbrook Jackson High School reached a milestone when its application as a candidate school for the IB Diploma Programme was accepted. The school is currently completing the next phase of the rigorous application process.